More of that Writing Amidst Life stuff today.
Two hour delay; breakfast with husband; the lure of fine writing implements…
The kids had a half day yesterday because of The Blizzard That Never Was, and I not only negotiated some writing time with the Husband, but used it productively to add 1400 words to a scene in the novel.
Today I had more time at my disposal and managed to sit and stare at the scene for quite a lot of it. I figured out my problem, though, which is something: I need to know what the heroine’s story goals at this point in the story. It’s a waste of my time to just add more words to the scene if they don’t serve the overall story. So I did some background writing to figure out what she needs to figure out at this point. That sounds very clever and it would have been, had I not succeeded in completely confusing myself. Time to go back to my notes, It think.
But this is the absolute worst time of the day for met to try to make decisions, so I’m going to send a few emails and try to get back to this later. Or tomorrow. But at least knowing what the problem is, now.
- Finish draft of the novel (so I can revise it for the critique group) – Getting there. Have added, since last week, about 4000 words in three different scenes, building towards the climax. Huzzah!
- Post weekly Write On Wednesday prompts to StoryADay – No progress, but I have three weeks’ worth in the bank
- Start prepping for April’s build-up to StoryADay – Wrote a Thursday Feature Article about Turning Up At The Page
- Non-fiction book proposal – No progress
- Reading – Um…
- Regular column for other site – Really very little progress unless you count what I do in the next 30 minutes…
- Planning – Captured a list of Things I Want To Do This Year. It’s quite a lot, and now it’s all organized and in a Google Document that I can update from year to year. Fun!